Friday, December 9, 2016

Do you seek to know the true Christ?

Do you seek to know the true Christ?

Reading Quit Acting Like Christ Was Accepting of Everyone and Everything in Voice Dream http://www.gregtrimble.com/quit-acting-like-christ-was-accepting-of-everyone-and-everything/

This article hits on a concept that I have talked about on several occasions. We tend to paint a fairytale picture of Christ and in a very real sense we dilute who He really is, to our own detriment. All throughout the entire bible the Lord favored His people the house of Israel over all other people. He made covenants with them because of their righteousness in obeying His commandments. When wickedness prevailed those individuals fell out of favor. Does that mean he loves the wicked less than the righteous? I would say that he loves the wicked equally, but hates their thoughts, actions and deeds. Thus they become unaccepted and less favored of the Lord. Ultimately, there are reasons that the Lord does the things He does, and yet many of His actions and words fall outside of the fairytale Christ that many have concocted in their minds. Take the below story for an example.

Matthew 15:22-28
22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.

28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/matt/15?lang=eng

First of all those seem to be some pretty harsh words He spoke to her. But, what is interesting, is here is the son of God, the Savior of all mankind, and yet He knew to whom he was sent, and unfortunately she was not one of the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Luckily, the story has a happy ending because of her great faith, but how many others who also were not Israelites that lacked such faith and who were not not so blessed by the Lord?

Contrast this Christ with the Christ that many have ignorantly crafted in their hearts. When we ascribe our own definitions to the characteristics of Christ, we immediately distance ourselves from Him. We simply can't customize Christ.

Is it really a wonder that Christ was rejected by so many? Was it because he only spoke kind, pleasing words and unconditionally accepted all people regardless of their actions, of course not. On the contrary, Christ was rejected by so many because He would NOT accept sin in any of its forms, regardless of its origination, whether tradition, culture, or otherwise.

Matthew 10:34-38
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/matt/10?lang=eng

Disobedience to God's commandments will divide like a sword. After the division and the righteous take up their cross and follow after Him, then comes Christ's peace unto them. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27) http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/john/14?lang=eng

The Lord told Isaiah, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord" Isaiah 55:8. I understand that and desire with all my heart to come to know the true Christ. I want to hear His voice, and take up my cross, and follow after Him all my days. Let us all have this same desire is my sincere prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment